Thursday, September 15, 2011

80's Sleeve Makeover

Sorry everybody.  I know I don't post very often, I've been so busy lately.  But I am finally getting around to posting today.  I have a confession to make: I made an impulse buy last month.  I'm not normally that way; when confronted with college expenses, and no job (until last month. Thank you, Lord for providing!), it really makes me think twice before buying anything.  But I saw this dress.  It was white and black.  Normally I don't like white and black, but I liked this dress for some reason.  It had a slight empire waist, princess seaming on the skirt and gathers on the bodice, was floor length and fit perfectly.  Like no-alterations-needed-on-the-fit perfectly.
(Ignore the flower pot above my head!)

The only problem was that this dress had horrid 80's elbow length puffed sleeves (sorry, I don't have any "before" photos).  I fixed the problem by cutting off about 3 inches of fabric and pleating the pouffy-ness into a binding of satin ribbon.  It was so easy, and took maybe a half-hour, even with hand sewing the binding.  Here's the finished product:

Aren't those sleeve cute?

Front view:  I really like the lace at the waistline.

I think I know what I'm wearing to the Vintage Ball this December!  

No comments:

Post a Comment